When I call to check on the status, I can't help but imagine what is going on with the person who answers the phone. I mean, how many people are processing paperwork vs. answering phones if our paperwork has been sitting there for 7 weeks with no progress? Does the person answering the phone have the ability to just assign someone to the open case? Could I potentially bribe this person to do just that? No, No that isn't right and (probably) isn't even possible. :-)
After this moment of weakness, I pull it together, say thank you, and hang up the phone. They did tell me it would be 45-60 days when I submitted my form and it has been 47 days today so I am not sure why my panties are in a bunch on this topic!
In any case, Matt and I need to have all of our paperwork for the Dossier (pronounced dos-ee-ey) ready to go so that when we get the I800A approval, we can quickly get all of the paperwork and a big whomping (certified) check in the mail to our agency. Once they have those items, they will translate all of our documents to chinese, get them authenticated, certified, and then send them to China for us.
Here is what all of the paperwork looks like.
And for those of you that are "list" based (head nod my side of the family), here was my list of required items for the Homestudy and Dossier. I am happy to say we have it all together, just missing that last item! That is all for now, hopefully an update next week or the following!
- Agency Agreement for
Adoption Services – Notarized China
- Agency Civil Rights Compliance Awareness Form
- CCAA Letter of Application and Commitment
- Birth Certificate (Husband) w/parents’ names listed (extended version) – ORIGINAL, not older than 9 mos
- Birth Certificate (Wife) w/parents’ names listed (extended version) – ORIGINAL, not older than 9 mos
- Birth Certificate (child) – ORIGINAL
- Marriage Certificate (from the town/city) – ORIGINAL, not older than 9 mos (we had to order from
- Criminal Record Check (Husband)**see below
- Criminal Record Check (Wife)**see below
- Matt, Minor in Possession – Court Docket Paperwork Notarized and accompanying personal letter of explanation – Thank you to MIL Lorna for going to Grand Rapids Court House!!
- Christy, Minor in Possession - Court Docket Paperwork Notarized and accompanying personal letter of explanation – (come on, I was 6 mos away from my 21st birthday!!)
- Verification of Employment including salary and health benefits (Husband) notarized
- Verification of Employment including salary and health benefits (Wife) – notarized
- 2 different Financial Statement including assets, liabilities, net worth and monthly cash flow –CAWLI & Living Hope
- 5 Pictures of Home, one of which has the entire home and family in view
- 5 Pictures of Lexie, Matt, Christy
- Matt’s DD214 (Army Discharge indicating honorable)
- Passport Photocopy (Husband)
- Passport Photocopy (Wife)
- 2 Passport Pictures (Husband)
- 2 Passport Pictures (Wife)
- 3 Reference Letters from friends/neighborhoods
- Child Abuse Registry Checks for your home state and all other states and countries lived in since 18 (i.e. NC, IL, and MI)
- 3 years’ Tax Returns (1040s only – first two pages)
- Autobiography (Husband)
- Autobiography (Wife)
- Post Placement Prepay Verification Statement ($350 per report, 6 reports over 5 years when child is home)
- Adoption Training certificate of completion
- Medical Checklist
- Home study - notarized
- Home study License – notarized
- Christy/Matt/Lexie Medical Form – Thank you Dr. Bruderly for redoing the form 4 times!!
o 4 different forms: Adoption Associates, C&PS, CAWLI, and Living Hope
o Immunization Record – Alexis
o Matt and Christy Medical lab results including Tuberculosis, HIV, Hep B, and more!
- Letter of explanation for Matt’s CIDP indicating it will not affect his ability to parent
- I-800A application form
- USCIS Approval – pending!
- and a partrige in a pear treeeeeeeee